9.29.2015

Zinnia, Portland Open Studio, Washington County Open Studio


Zinnia
10"x 10"x 1.5"
oil on cradled board
This is one of twelve paintings of flowers that I am doing for a calendar and note cards that I am having available at the Portland Open Studio and Washington County Open Studio tour, 
October 10-11, 17-18, 2015. 
My son, Thomas, and I look over black and white photos for the calendar.
I am almost done with my paintings. I have laid out samples of envelopes from Envelope Mall to see if any of them match. (look how many "greens" they have!) The next thing is to email images of my paintings to the printer.
Canna Lilies are blooming right now, and although they are one of my favorite flowers, I decided not to paint them but to use them to show you how effective light can be.
(That's my daughter Claire a few years ago. She's 5'10" now!)
Here is sunlight directly on the leaves... 
...and this is sunlight from behind the leaves.
Notice the difference? Isn't it beautiful?!
That is why "light" is always so important to me when I paint.

Studio Tip:
I clean my brushes in Murphy Oil Soap. 
Oil, water-based oil, acrylic,....whatever, it's great at getting all the paint off!

If you have any other ideas about a cleaning solution, let me know. :)

Listening to while I paint:
Audiobook:  
"The Scarlet Pimpernel", by Baroness Orczy. I watched the movie in 1982 with my dad. It had Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian McKellen.
Podcasts: 
American's Test Kitchen, hosted by Christopher Kimball
Online Marketing Made Easy, hosted by Amy Porterfield
The Nerdist, Patrick Stewart, hosted by Chris Hardwick
Artists Helping Artists, hosted by Leslie Saeta
The Chalene Show, hosted by Chalene Johnson
Social Media Examiner, hosted by Michael Stelzner
"Wait, Wait.... Don't Tell Me!", hosted by Peter Sagal
Splendid Table, hosted by Lynne Rossetto KasperTruth For Life, hosted by Alistair Begg
Music: 
My iPod


What I am reading:
Youtility, by Jay Baer

Really helpful!:
I am continually checking a dictionary, thesaurus, spell check, but one thing that has been particularly helpful is the grammar check. Please excuse any errors that I make and tell me! :)



2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère Annie,

Je suis très très heureuse de te retrouver et d'admirer ton travail... Je suis sous le charme !
Comme j'aimerais pouvoir me rendre sur place et te rencontrer !... Un jour peut-être...
Gros bisous

Annie Salness said...

Martine Says:

"Hello dear Annie,

I am very very happy to see you and admire your work ... I'm in love!
I wish I could go over there and meet you! ... One day maybe ...
Big kisses"

Thank you Martine! I hope it works so you could come over and we would meet too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...